Once again, somewhat light on writing stuff up lately. Mainly as a result of not having much to write about I guess. I have managed to find some time to take a long weekend in Australia at the end of July though. Due to not having huge amounts of vacation time (and the hassles of arranging cover for work whilst I’m off) I find it’s easier to book short trips round weekends. It turns out Australia isn’t really within easy hopping distance of Hong Kong. It’s a 9 hour flight time with a +2 hour timezone difference in Sydney. This short trip and long flight time was however worth it as a chance to catch up with a former colleague from the UK, and to watch Australia play the All Blacks in the first round of the Bledisloe Cup. Actually, I suppose to be accurate that should be the Qantas Wallabies play the All Blacks. Naming rights to rugby teams as well as stadiums are available it seems.

Landing in Sydney at about 8:00am in the morning and looking out the plane window I could have been forgiven for thinking I’d landed in Belfast. It was grey and overcast, and it was raining. This was actually quite a relief to be out of the stifling humidity of Hong Kong to be honest. The last time I’d flown into Sydney I’d not needed to clear customs and immigration as I had an onward flight to Cairns and would clear there. I can now see that this was a bonus. Sydney immigration and customs was not quick. Not helped by a Chinese couple at passport control who spoke little, if any, English having one passport between them. How you can get on an international flight without a passport is a mystery to me. Fortunately, another counter was opened allowing me to change queues so I was no longer being held up watching an Aussie immigration official battling to communicate with a non-English speaking Chinese couple. It at least provided me a bit of early morning comedy though. As I passed through without a hitch I saw the Chinese couple being taken to one side, but notably not through immigration. I expect whichever one was missing the passport didn’t get very far, as the Aussies aren’t noted for a lax immigration policy.

Most of Friday was spent to the west of Sydney at Katoomba to walk round (some of) the Blue Mountains, a place I’d not had the chance to visit when I’d previously been here. They get the blue name because the haze given off by the eucalyptus trees is a definite blue colour. The mountains aren’t very high but formed a significant barrier to the early settlers when they tried to explore further west of Sydney. It seemed quite strange being able to look out upon miles of what is really just wilderness having just arrived from Hong Kong (and to a lesser extent the UK) where everywhere has been discovered, explored, and populated. The weather had cleared and there were even had blue skies and sunshine which made the views (with no rubbish air pollution either) all the better. The Blue Mountains is the location of the much photographed (and now by me also) Three Sisters. If you follow the link you’ll even get to read about the slightly odd Aboriginal story behind the name. There should be some of the pictures I took available via the flickr link on the blog, or for the lazy, you can just click here.

The following day was all about the rugby match. I was hoping for an Australian victory, and not just because I was in Australia and surrounded by Aussies. With the Bledisloe Cup being played over four matches this year, the forth match is in Hong Kong in November. It would be a shame if the Cup was already won by the time the teams reach here. I know I’m now writing this blog after the first two games, but I did fully expect the All Blacks to win in New Zealand. Ideally, if Australia are 2-1 up coming to Hong Kong, then it’s a winner takes all match. But even if the All Blacks are 2-1 up they won’t want to tie the series, and the Aussies of course will. The match was taking place at the ANZ Stadium, formerly the Telstra Stadium and before that simply the Olympic Stadium. There are some similarities to London here, in that the Olympic Park is outside of the Central Business District of Sydney and is reached via a relatively quick and reliable overground rail link. Cleverly, if you buy a ticket to the match your public transport is free (this is buses into Sydney, trains to Olympic Park and out again). The stadium is now a little smaller than it was for the Olympics – it now only holds 80,000 people. There was apparently a crowd of ~78,000 on the Saturday night I was there. The atmosphere within the ground was fantastic and having arrived just in time to see the All Blacks perform their pre-match haka there wasn’t long to wait for the kick off. As with most sports events you don’t get to see quite as much being there as you do on television, but being at the event more than makes up for that. This was, of course, helped with the Aussies Wallabies going into an early lead (sadly at the opposite end of the ground to me for the first half). If anything you get to appreciate the sheer physicality of rugby by seeing it live rather than on television, as well as being able to see how plays progress and where there is space which isn’t always visible on television. Australia led narrowly at half time only to fall behind early on in the second half to an All Blacks try. This set the rest of the second half up nicely with a couple of converted tries and a drop goal for Australia, this time at the end I was sat at. Plenty of good photograph opportunities from this game as well – as ever available via flickr.

The Olympic Park in Sydney is really well done, and an object lesson for London. London’s organising committess really should just say to the people who designed/built the Sydney Olympic Park ‘we’ll have one of those, please’. The following day was pretty relaxing and spent wandering round Circular Quay – where you can view both the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. You can see the somewhat ominous clouds in the background. It was shortly to start raining really quite heavily. Quite a contrast to the last time I wandered round Circular Quay when it was in the 30s in Celsius and there was hardly a cloud in the sky. Makes for good photographs though. If I had a bit more time/skill with PhotoShop I could probably tidy them up a bit more.

And finally … I flew to Australia via Cathay Pacific one day before this flight arrived. There’s another typhoon on the way to Hong Kong, expected to hit either tomorrow or Saturday. We’re currently at a T1 warning with this one (Typhoon Nuri) possibly being classed as a T10. That could prove very interesting. As it’s known the British like to talk about the weather, you can follow it’s progress here.

I’ll look to write another entry about all things Olympic in the next day or so.

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: